10 best bread recipes that prove why we cannot do without the good old double roti!
Bread is a staple for most people around the world. Breads are basically made with grains. Every country has its own history, tradition and method of making breads. Be it bruschetta, roti, naan, pita, focaccia or baguette, each country makes its own special bread! Indeed, it is your favourite companion when you don’t have anything else in your refrigerator.
Is brown bread healthier than white bread?
– White bread is made up of bleached flour that makes it lighter in color whereas brown bread is made of whole wheat flour and white flour.
– Brown bread is more nutritious and healthier than white bread.
– White bread is bleached with chemicals through an artificial process unlike brown bread which mostly contains natural elements.
– White bread is softer and tastier than brown bread.
– White bread has more calorie content than brown bread. 100 grams of white bread contains 361 calories whereas brown bread has 293 calories per 100 grams.
Top tips for perfect homemade bread:
– In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and yeast. Make a well in the centre, add warm milk and butter.
– Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture until well combined, then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
– Place it in a lightly oiled bowl to prove. Leave to prove for 1 hour until doubled in size or place in the fridge overnight.
– Dust the loaf with flour and cut a cross, about 6cm wide, into the top of the loaf.
– Preheat the oven to 220˚C/fan and bake for 25-30 minutes.Bake until golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
– Cool on a wire rack.
How to keep bread fresh:
– Wrap bread in plastic or aluminum foil.
– Keep bread at room temperature for no more than two days.
– Don’t put bread in the refrigerator.
What to avoid when choosing bread:
– Refined Flours
– Hydrogenated Fats, Refined Sugars, and Sodium
– Preservatives, Fillers and Colorings
Tips to buy bread:
– Check the sodium content
– Choose breads with higher fibre content
– Go for wholemeal bread
– Check the expiry date.
Types of bread:
Bagel: A bagel is a round circle of yeast dough the size of a large roll, which is first boiled and then baked.
Baguette: A long, narrow loaf with a very crusty, amber-colored outside and a delicate, tender inside.
Multigrain bread: It is made by combining assorted whole meal, white, or rye flour.
Whole wheat bread: Whole wheat bread is made from coarse and unpolished wheat
Brown bread: Brown bread is often a combination of wheat and soy that gives it the rich brown colour.
Flaxseeds bread: Bread that is fortified with flaxseed is very crunchy to eat and has loads of good cholesterol.
Rye bread: Rye bread is made from a mix of rye and wheat flour. This type of bread originated in Europe and is now available everywhere.
Fruit bread: Fruit bread is prepared adding dry fruits like raisins, currants, orange peel, apricots, dates etc and sugar to normal bread.
Bread pakoras are undoubtedly one of the favourite companions to our chai!
A fully loaded pizza with cheese and vegetables can be made even when you don’t have a pizza base.
Delicious appetizers can be made using bread!
Bread Cheese Balls
Bread Cheese Balls will surely win some hearts in a party. Try out this exciting and mouth-watering dish today.
Any kind of cheese that goes between two slices of bread is drool-worthy.
A healthy mixture of egg, milk and honey embraces the bread to create this heavenly dish.
Double ka Meetha
Bread slices dipped in sugar syrup, condensed milk, saffron milk and bake it for around 10 minutes.
Crunchy and nutritious bread rolls are easier to make than you think.
Chocolate Bread Pudding
If you want to impress your family and friends, indulge in this easy recipe.This delightful dessert recipe that will bring a wave of heavenly flavors in your mouth.
An easy to make, no-fuss recipe teaming bread with tomatoes and cheese. It’ll be your new favourite.