Express Recipes: How to make Hara Bhara Kebab
While temptations will always be there, you can be a little responsible towards your health by making your snacks healthy. In this Hara Bhara Kebab recipe, we are using spinach which is considered a super food packed with all the nutrients like proteins, iron, vitamins and minerals. We are also using channe ki daal (gram dal) which is high in fibre and is a good source of zinc, folate, calcium and protein. And do we need to elaborate the health benefits of paneer?
1 cup split gram dal (channe ki dal)
1 bundle (600 gm) spinach – only leaves, chopped very finely
3 tbsp oil
3 slices bread – broken into pieces and churned in a mixer to get fresh crumbs
3 tbsp cornflour, 2 green chillies – chopped finely
½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp garam masala, ¾ tsp salt or to taste
½ tsp dry mango (amchoor) powder
½ cup grated paneer (75 gm), ¼ cup chopped green coriander
½ tsp cumin (jeera), seeds of 2 black cardamom (moti elaichi)
3-4 black peppercorns (saboot kali mirch), 2-3 cloves (laung)
* Crush cumin, seeds of black cardamom, peppercorns and cloves together.
* Clean, wash dal. Pressure cook dal with the above crushed spices, ½ tsp salt & 2 cups water. After the first whistle, keep the cooker on slow fire for 15 minutes. Remove from fire and keep aside.
* After the pressure drops down, mash the hot dal with a karchhi or a potato masher. If there is any water, mash the dal on fire and dry the dal as well while you are mashing it. Remove from fire.
* Discard stem of spinach and chop leaves very finely. Wash in several changes of water. Leave the chopped spinach in the strainer for 15 minutes so that the water drains out.
* Heat 3 tbsp oil in a kadhai. Squeeze and add spinach. Stir for 8-10 minutes till spinach is absolutely dry and well fried. Add paneer and coriander. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from fire and keep aside.
* Mix dal with – fresh bread crumbs, cornflour, spinach-paneer, green chillies, salt and masalas. Make small balls. Flatten slightly.
* Cook them on a tawa with just 2-3 tbsp oil till brown on both sides.
* When done shift them on the sides of the tawa so that they turn crisp and the oil drains out while more kebabs can be added to the hot oil in the centre of the tawa. Remove the kebabs on paper napkins. Serve hot with hari chutney.